Apple‘s secure contactless payment service enables iPhone and Apple Watch users to pay swiftly on the go. It uses the Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to initiate secure digital transactions wirelessly to a nearby device. Launched in the US in October 2014, the service over time expanded to several countries and regions across the world.
Having said that, recently, Apple Pay reached two GCC countries namely Bahrain and Qatar. All said, now let’s learn how to set up Apple Pay on your device. Let’s go…
NOTE: Apple Pay is only compatible with every iPhone model released since 2014. That includes the iPhone 6 line and 6S series through the latest iPhone 13 and 13 Pro lineup. As for the Apple Watch, all models are supported.
How to set up Apple Pay in the Wallet on iPhone
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone.
- Tap the + button.
- Choose Debit or Credit card. You may also select the Previous Cards option if you have a card associated with the Apple ID on the iPhone.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add the card. If available, you may be prompted to select your bank from the list. Just select your card issuer.
- A verification process will be initiated to complete the setup. Your bank or card issuer might require you to download their official app to further verify eligibility and safely complete the Apple Pay setup process.
How to set up Apple Pay on Apple Watch
The process to configure Apple Pay on the Watch is quite similar to how you would on the iPhone.
- Launch the Wallet app on your Watch.
- Locate and find the + button.
- Select your card. You may also add previous cards associated with your Apple ID.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- You will have to perform a verification process to complete the setup safely and securely.
Look out for these symbols at the place of payment
The following two symbols at a point of sale inform the customer that the merchant accepts Apple Pay:
How to Pay using Face ID
- Double press the Side button to bring up your default card (tap the card to select another card if added).
- Look at your iPhone to authenticate yourself with Face ID. You may also enter the passcode.
- Keep the top part of your iPhone within a few centimeters of the contactless payment system (search for the Apple Pay symbols).
- When the payment is successfully completed, a checkmark and Done dialog are displayed on the screen.
How to pay using Touch ID
- Keep your finger on the Touch ID sensor (do not press the sensor).
- Position the top part of your iPhone within a few centimeters of the contactless payment service system. (look for the Apple Pay symbols as shown above). Your default card will appear for payment. To select a different card if added, tap the default card as soon as it appears.
- Wait for the Done dialog along with the checkmark indicating successful payment.
How to pay using Apple Watch
- Double-press the Side button and choose the card of your choice.
- Make sure the Watch’s display within a few centimeters is facing the contactless payment system (check for the Apple Pay symbols as discussed above).
- A beep and gentle vibration will be felt upon successful transaction.