Apple‘s latest and greatest iOS 15 updates brought in quite a few new features and enhancements. Out of the many new additions, one worthy of mention has to be the ability to set up Apple ID Account Recovery Contacts on iPhone.
Should you forget your account password or just get locked out randomly for no reason, the Account Recovery Contact feature helps you assign any person you trust from your contact list to recover your Apple ID account in a cinch.
As a heads up, please make sure that both you and your Apple Recovery Contact are running the latest version of iOS 15.
How to configure Apple ID Account Recovery Contact
1. Unlock your iPhone and fire up the Settings app.
2. Tap the Apple ID (your name) associated with your iPhone.
3. Select Password & Security.
4. Locate and tap the Account Recovery option and now you will enter the screen required to assign recovery contacts.
5. Select the Add Recovery Contact highlighted in blue after which a card describing the feature will pop up.
6. Read the information and tap the Add Recovery Contact button.
7. You will now have to authenticate yourself with Face ID or Touch ID.
8. Type in and search for a contact you trust and tap the Add button.
9. An information card will pop up explaining that a message will be sent to the selected Recovery Contact to let them know you’ve designated them as your Apple ID Recovery Contact. Moreover, a link will also be sent to them to be able to accept your request to add them as your Recovery Contact. You can send the pre-defined message or edit it as per your preference. All good? Tap Send to inform your Recovery Contact.
A quick tip: Using a Family Sharing account? all you have to do is just pick a family member of your choice and add them as Recovery Contacts. No message request or confirmation is required for family members.
Confirm the addition of Recovery Contact
Now that you’ve followed the above steps correctly, you can either inform or wait for the Recovery Contact to accept your request. Once the sent link is accessed, the name of the contact will appear in the Account Recovery menu as we saw in step 4.
How to recover your Apple ID
The designated recovery contact will be able to provide you with a recovery code if you ever get locked out of your Apple ID account. The person simply has to go to Settings > Apple ID > Password & Security > Account Recovery > Your name on their iPhone and tap Get Recovery Code.
You just enter that code on your iPhone at the time of Apple ID account recovery and complete the steps that follow to regain access to your account right away.
What happens when the Recovery Contact removes you
In case for any reason the Recovery Contact decides to strike you off the list, you will receive a prompt on your iPhone immediately. Now that helps make things so much safe and secure.