Cupertino giant, Apple has launched a service/recall/repair program for the 6.1″ iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models in the lineup. The repair program aims to fix an earpiece “no sound issue” on a small percentage of affected units. The problem is caused by a component in the earpiece that may fail over time. The affected models are those that were manufactured between October 2020 and April 2021.
If your iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro does not emit sound from the receiver when you make or receive calls, it may be eligible for service.
iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max models are not part of this program.
This service program is a worldwide recall/repair program and so Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will fix your affected iPhone free of cost. Do note that Apple may limit the service program to the actual country of purchase. The standard warranty isn’t extended due to this service program.
The program is valid only for the affected iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro units 2 years after the first retail sale.
Before you send in for repair
- Check for any damages such as a cracked screen as the service center will only continue with the earpiece repair after resolving it. Resolving the screen or any other damage that may need to be carried out prior to the earpiece repair may incur extra charges.
- Back up your device to your PC or Mac via iTunes.
- Reset all settings and data on your device.
How to send in for repair
- You can find an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
- Arrange device mail-in service by contacting Apple Support.
- Schedule an appointment at an Apple Store.